Sunday, June 7, 2009

"Five Canadian Women Eco-Poets" New post by Camille Dungy at The Poetry Foundation



Camille Dungy

Five Canadian Women Eco-Poets

I’m in Canada right now at the biennial conference for Association for the Study of Literature and the Environment (ASLE). In honor of my host nation, I thought I’d write about a few Canadian women poets whose work I enjoy.

Since I’m at the ASLE conference, thinking about the intersection between poetry and discussions of human impact on the environment, I should start by talking about Di Brandt. Brandt has been concerned about these issues for most of her career. In a review of her collection Now You Care, Jeff Gundy of the Georgia Review writes, “Brandt roams this industrial landscape like a feminist environmentalist postmodern Apollinaire, one who finds beauty and destruction wherever she goes.”

Read the entire post here:
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/harriet/2009/06/3214/

0 comments: